Thursday, July 19, 2018

Collaborative Student Created Rubric


Collaborative Student Created Rubric

What better way to make rubrics and grades meaningful than to have students decide how they will be graded?

 I often create rubrics myself and give them to students. This year I want to focus on student voice and have them tell me what type of feedback they would like to receive. In an effort to get the ball rolling, I tested it with my summer school ELA 8 class. They were preparing for a speech on food waste. 

1. Have them write down their individual thoughts

 As they enter the room, I always have a Do Now slide with a task like the one below.  The students wrote down their answers in their composition books. 



2. Find common requirements/criteria
Once they all had something down in their notebooks, we collectively came up with requirements. The students volunteered to share what they had and noted if they had the same thing in their own notes as their peers. So, I wrote their ideas down on the white board as they shared them out. My students came up with the following common criteria: 

  • Eye contact
  • Posture
  • Clarity
  • Elaboration
  • Evidence 
  • On topic 
  • Hand gestures
  • Volume 
  • Visuals
One student even mentioned Ethos, Pathos, and Logos! 🤗

3. Group requirements into categories

Once we had everyone's novel ideas, I moderated the discussion to group the requirements together. We decided which ones could fit into one category and together we decided to name them. I did tell them we should only have FOUR  categories to keep the rubric simple. I then asked them how many bands they wanted and if they wanted numbers (1-4 point rubric) or a performance rubric (Not met, Almost Met, Met). They liked the numbers better, which I thought was interesting! 

Students had a lot to say and covered everything I would normally add!


4. Create the descriptors together for each category 

I then took on the role of recorder, which in retrospect I could have easily assigned to a student! I will definitely delegate that to them next time. 🙂 Students told me what to write at each point level for each category. I loved hearing what they had to say and how they differentiated between a 1, 2, 3, and 4 score in each category. 




5. Share it with them digitally! 
Once it was done, I took a picture of it to share it with them in Google Classroom. I did type it up to be able to use it during their speeches and give them feedback. I didn't have a digital template set up or really knew where this was going, but in the future, I would have a student recorder type it in a shared document or slide like the one below. 🙂


Lesson Learned & Reflection

1. Students enjoy sharing ideas
Students love when YOU ask them what they think. 🙂 

2. Students want what you want!
Students are very aware of what you expect from them, so let them tell you. There will be more student buy-in. Most of the time they'll come up with everything you wanted in the rubric. 

3. A student can be the recorder! 
I totally took over that job, but looking back, I should have had a student take it. 




4. Maximize technology! 
In the future I plan to have  a student record the rubric digitally using Google Docs or slides so that we can share a digital version right away in Google Classroom or have multiple students type it. It will also save me time!  
Now that I've done this, I'm thinking that in the future, I can have a student recorder modify a digital rubric template. That way they only worry about content and not layouts or formatting. 

5. Students understand and remember what they create! 
I have never had as much student engagement with a rubric as I did with this lesson! I usually make it, go over it and I don't really know if students truly understand why they even need it or why I use it. It took about the same amount of time to create it together, if not faster, than to create it myself.  I think I actually saved myself some time by creating it together since they understood every part of it as they created it. 🙂

I know I won't do this with all rubrics since some of them are state or district adopted rubrics, but even with those, why not have students look at them and develop a student-friendly version using a collaborative template! 

Let's  create a space where rubrics are meaningful, engaging, and relevant for our students instead of overwhelming and intimidating. 

No comments:

Post a Comment